Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Stuff We Own

We moved into this house Oct. 12th, before the moved we lived in a home that was 2000 square feet and there were just the two of us, well and two wiener dogs. They are deceiving with their miniature size, they have A LOT of stuff. But so do we. This brings me to my point, why do we have all this stuff? 
I've managed to live for the past 4 four months without a lot of it. I looked in my, what will be my office space, and thought how little I've missed ALL the books, paper clutter and such. The problem is, it's still all packed in boxes which I need to unpack and put away in the room, along with the other boxes that need to get put away. 
The question I keep asking myself is, do I really need all this stuff? I know the answer is NO! So now, what do I do with it? I've purchased it all and I don't want to give it away. In the past, I've packed it up and given it to Good Will. I didn't want it in the house any longer. Darcy is talking about having a garage sale in the Spring. This means keeping it in the house for another 2 or 3 months which means hanging on to it for a longer. The basement storage room is getting really full with all that we've unpacked so far. It makes me wonder where we stored all of it in our smaller house. 
My goal is to have open space in closets, drawers, and rooms. So in order to accomplish this goal, I need to get rid of things. Where do you sell things? On-line? We moved for many reasons and now that Spring is slowly coming, I'm wanting to get rid of the old and simplify my life.
As I'm typing, I'm thinking to myself, wouldn't it be nice to sell some stuff, put that money in the bank and maybe use it for a bathroom renovation or outside landscaping. This is a larger task than I actually think it is. Perhaps, this the problem I'm facing, it's not the stuff, well it is the stuff but the overwhelming feeling of how I'm going to get rid of it and the amount of my time it will take. Hmm... now I'm rethinking things. Maybe it's okay to store it in the basement for another three months then do a garage sale. I need some places around Grande Prairie where items can be sold quickly and effectively. Any thoughts would be appreciated...
I'll keep you posted about what I decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment