Friday, January 4, 2013

Kitchen Cloths

Before I begin each day, I usually start with clean up. Yes, I'm working on doing it before I go to bed each night but in the mean time we don't have a dishwasher and I've been on holidays so breakfast dishes accumulate in the morning from Darcy going to work and from us snacking at night ( I know, I know....). I find if I do the clean up before I start projects, then it's done and I don't have to worry about doing it later when I'm tired. 
I want to share with you the kitchen cloths I use and why. I love white, it's just as plain and simple as that. I can't get enough of it, well with a mechanic (boy) and two wiener dogs there is a limit. I think it looks fresh and clean. I would decorate my whole house in white if I could but Darcy says no because then I'd be even more pickier than I am now :-). 
So I find places where I can use it. Not on a living room couch, although I've seen people who do own white couches with kids no less. Yikes!! I don't know if I'm in for that. 
I have come across the best kitchen clothes in awhile. I should have known about them before because I used them everyday when I worked in restaurants. 
I know you're sitting on the edge of your seats waiting to know what brand, how expensive, where can I get them, etc. Well wait not further, they are called Gillett's Bar Mop Cloths. They are the best I've used in a long time and very inexpensive at 6.99 at London Drugs here in town. You can find them on sale for 5.99 if you were looking to save the dollar. They come in a pack of 8. 

After searching for the picture on Google, it appears you can buy them at Canadian Tire as well. There is a towel version which I have but I want to talk about the dish cloths first. 
Why do I like them so much? 
  1. They are white.
  2. I know when they are dirty and soiled.
  3. They are very absorbant.
  4. Good size for wipping down counters, sinks, kitchen table. I don't like a big dish cloth. 
  5. They are cheap and you get 8 of them, that's .87 cents per cloth. You can't beat those savings. 
  6. They match everything. White goes with all colours. You've got to think of decor ;-)
Some of you might think this crazy but I use one everyday. I HATE it when I pick up a dish cloth and my hands start to stink because the cloth is old. This happens because we re-use our dish clothes over and over again. Sometimes not changing them for a week. Gross!!!! You are washing your dirty counters, dishes, etc with this dirty stinky cloth and then you wonder why everything smells. Yes, back to the whole smell thing. I've got a sensitive nose you know. 
Cloths do start to smell after awhile and you have to throw them out. I'm taking all of my old cloths and tossing them out and only keeping these. Well not completely because I still need special cloths to clean my appliances and such but for the most part these will be in my kitchen drawers. 
Now you're wondering how do I keep them clean. Because I only use one a day, it doesn't get really dirty but some of you are thinking spaghetti sauce or darker foods are going to stain them. Yes, they do but I use a paper towel to get most of the crud out of the pan or rinse it with water first. Once I've used the cloth it's downstairs to wait for a load of white towels and dish cloths. I use hot water, Oxy Clean, Hydrogen Peroxide and Baking Soda to clean them. So far so good. On the back of the package it says to use bleach. I haven't used it but I would if I had some. If they end up getting too icky or darkish looking then it's to the garbage or my rag pile for them. I wouldn't throw them in with white cloths, my mother would have a fit. Yes mom, I did listen to your washing cloths instructions.
So there you have it, my favourite dish cloths to date.
What do you use at home for dish cloths? 

1 comment:

  1. Crappy Tire often has these for around 4, I think? I got similar cloths at Walmart and use them as dishcloths too. I'll be getting these Gilletts cloths the next time they're on sale.

    ReplyDelete